Part One - Championship Presentation
ARTICLE 1 – BIDDING AND HOSTING
1.1 Bid Procedures (Excluding Orthodox FP and Masters FP)
- More than one (1) bid may be made by an affiliated association, organization, club or province/territory. Each bid must be approved by the respective provincial/territorial softball association.
- Bids must be written or submitted electronically. Please refer to Article 1.2.
- Bids for the Canadian Championships will be accepted in the Softball Canada office beginning October 1, two (2) years prior to the year of the event.
- Bids must be accompanied by a payment of $1000.00 for each Championship being sought. Note – Exception: Men’s and U23 Men’s Championship will within 30 days submit an additional payment of $1,500.00 (total to be $2,500.00). The deposits will be returned subject to the following:
i) If the bid was not successful.
ii) If the bid is successful and the host organization has met all its financial and contractual obligations to Softball Canada. Any financial obligations not met will be deducted from the deposit.
- Canadian Championship week will be in consultation with the Host, Provincial/Territorial Offices and Softball Canada targeting the month of August. All Championships will be open Championships with the number of teams determined by the Host and Softball Canada with consideration given to facility and diamond availability.
- Provinces/Territories who have communities bidding on a Championship must have had at least one (1) team from the Province or Territory participate in the Championship they are bidding on the year before the Championship if the bid is submitted one (1) or more years prior to the Championship. If there are no other bids, except from a P/T who hadn’t participated as stated above, then these bids can be considered after October 1st the year prior to the Championship.
1.2 Bid Selection
- Where bids are submitted to Softball Canada for a Canadian Championship, an evaluation process will be conducted by the Canadian Championship Committee.
- The evaluation process will include an assessment of the host committee’s ability to host a Canadian Championship. Criteria evaluated should include:
facility, volunteer staffing and qualifications, accommodations, airport location, transportation, special events and promotional opportunities, promotion/communications program and fundraising activities.
- The Canadian Championship Committee will tentatively approve and award the bid for the Championship 30 days after receiving the first satisfactorily completed bid.
- A bid will only be considered finalized and awarded when the signed contract and additional deposit (if required) has been received by Softball Canada. This must be completed within 30 days of the host being notified of the bid approval.
1.3 Bid Requirements
Bidders for Canadian Championships must guarantee the following facilities:
i) The main tournament facility must have a minimum of two (2) diamonds, at least one of which is lighted.
ii) All events require a third and fourth diamond close to the main facility.
iii) All ball parks must comply with Softball Canada Rule Book dimensions.
ARTICLE 2 – HOSTING OBLIGATIONS
i) The successful bidder shall hereinafter be referred to as the Host Committee.
ii) A Canadian Championship shall be awarded to the provincial/territorial association which will, in conjunction with the Host Committee, be responsible for the Championship.
iii) A contract between Softball Canada and the Host Committee outlining all obligations of both parties shall be signed and guidelines as published by Softball Canada shall be followed. The host will have to send Softball Canada a deposit of $1,500.00 at the same time as the Host Agreement Fees (2 weeks prior to the championship start date) to guarantee Softball Canada Quality Assurance on the championship to be held. This deposit will not be cashed by Softball Canada unless the host does not meet its contractual obligations.
iv) Softball Canada shall not be liable for any claim or indebtedness incurred in the execution of any Canadian Championship.
i) The Host Committee will designate a host hotel(s) for the Championship which all teams are strongly encouraged to support.
i) A flat hosting fee for each Canadian Championship will be paid to
Softball Canada by the respective Host Committees.
- A $1,000.00 rebate will be given to a host committee that hosts two championships concurrently.
- A $1,000.00 rebate will be given to a host committee that hosts a championship in the same division for 2 consecutive years.
Men’s $ 25,000.00
Women’s $ 6,000.00
U23 Men’s $ 12,500.00
U19 Men’s $ 6,000.00
U19 Women’s $ 8,000.00U16 Boys $ 4,000.00
U16 Girls $ 8,000.00
U14 Boys $ 4,000.00
U14 Girls $ 8,000.00
The Host agreement fee will be paid by cheque to the Softball Canada National Office no later than 2 weeks prior to the start of the particular Championship. The cheque can be post-dated to the last day of respective Championship. If the hosting fee is not received at this time a fine of $100.00/day will be charged for every day the fee is late. This will be taken out of the Host’s Bid Deposit.
iii) The draft financial statements and the final report must be filed within 60 days of the conclusion of the championship and the final financial statements must be filed within 120 days of the conclusion of the championship to the Softball Canada office.
i) Tournament passes will be issued up to the following maximums:
Coaches and managers 4
Bat boy/girl 1
Softball Canada President (or his/her appointee) must approve all arrangements for OPENING and CLOSING ceremonies and other similar major events, such as banquets or get–togethers, connected with the Canadian Championships.
- First Aid Access
It is mandatory to provide a designated first aid area with a stocked medical kit as outlined in the Host Contract. This area must be attended to at all times during the event by either first aid personnel or a designate of the Host. This individual would be responsible to activate an established Emergency Plan that the Host must have in place.
2.2 Sponsor’s Participation
Participation of any or all sponsor(s) at a Canadian Championship is left to the discretion of the Host Committee in cooperation with the National Office of Softball Canada. It is, however, understood that, under no circumstances can a sponsor be involved (in any capacity) that is in competition with any of Softball Canada’s major national sponsors. In all Canadian Championships, Softball Canada reserves the rights to advertise its programs in any way, shape or form, and at all times during the staging of the Canadian Championship(s).