What's in this manual?
Traditionally, at the 5-10-year-old level, coaches are moms and dads with little or no coaching experience. The Learn to Coach clinic (Community Sport Initiation) offered through many Provincial/Territorial Softball Associations is a great introduction to softball for any parent coach and more information can be found at www.softball.ca.
This manual contains all the practical information you will need to run a Timbits Softball session. This program is designed to make it easy to implement for the volunteer coach. It includes:
- Easy to follow instructions.
- Lesson plans for U5, U7 & U9 that are developed specific to the skills children should be learning as laid out by Softball Canada’s Athlete Development Matrix (ADM).
- Basic softball skills broken down into teachable progressions.
- Program notes and tips and tricks for parent coaches.
- Notes on safety, program structure and equipment ideas.
- Information on Long Term Player Development and why it is important in softball.
- And lead up games designed to simulate the real game of softball and prepare children for advancing in their softball development.
As well, you are encouraged to visit www.softball.ca to find more information and useful resources to support your Timbits Softball program. Items such as:
- The basic rules of softball
- Printable resources (Parent Letters, Mechanics Checklist, etc.)
- Links to additional Fundamental Movement Skills Activities
- Best practices and unique equipment ideas
- And so much more!