APPENDIX 3: BALL STANDARDS
A. AN OFFICIAL SOFTBALL
An official softball:
- must be a regular, smooth-seamed, concealed stitched or flat surfaced ball;
- must have a center core made of either No. 1 quality long fiber kapok, a mixture of cork and rubber, a polyurethane mixture, or other materials approved by Softball Canada;
- may be hand or machine wound with a fine quality twisted yarn and covered with latex or rubber cement;
- must have its cover cemented by application of cement to the underside of the cover and sewn with waxed thread of cotton or linen, or must have a molded cover bonded to the core or molded integrally with the core, and have authentic facsimile of stitching, as may be approved by Softball Canada;
- must have a cover of the finest quality No. 1 chrome tanned horsehide or cowhide, made of synthetic material, or made of other materials approved by Softball Canada.
B. DIMENSIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS
- The completed 30.5cm (12 in) ball will be between 30.2cm (11 7/8 in) and 30.8cm (12 1/8 in) in circumference and will weigh between 178.0g (6 1/4 ounces) and 198.4g (7 ounces). The flat seam style will have not less than 88 stitches on each cover, sewn by the two-needle method.
SC The completed 27.9 cm (11 in) ball shall be between 27.60 cm (10 7⁄8 in.) and 28.30 cm (11 1⁄8 in.) in circumference and shall weigh between 166.50 g (5 7⁄8 oz.) and 173.64 g (6 1⁄8 oz.). The flat seam style shall have not less than 80 stitches in each cover, sewn by the two-needle method.
- The completed ball will have a coefficient of restitution and compression standard as will be determined and set by Softball Canada.
- The COR means the Coefficient of Restitution of a softball when measured with the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) test method for measuring the Coefficient of Restitution of softballs.
- SC: A 12” ball with a COR of .52 or less shall be used in all adult Softball Canada Fast pitch play. An 11” or 12” with a COR of .52 or less shall be used in all Softball Canada Minor divisions. (Refer to Age Categories & Distance Table)
SC Listed below are the standards established for each ball:
SIZE Minimum Maximum Minimum Maximum
27.9 cm (11”) 27.60 cms (10 7/8”) 28.30 cms (11 1/8”) 166.50 g (5 7/8 oz.) 173.64 g (6 1/8 oz.)
30.5 cm (12”) 30.20 cms (11 7/8”) 30.80 cms (12 1/8”) 178.00 g (6 1⁄4 oz.) 198.45 g (7 oz.)